What Are Featured Images?The featured image for a page in your website (a blog post or landing page) is the main image for that piece of content. In most cases, this image will appear at the top of the page and usually before your content. It is also part of the structure of your page. It will appear as a thumbnail image next to your page title and is the picture that should appear with your link when it is shared on social media. You can choose how your blog post or landing page will appear when it is shared on social media by using the Yoast SEO plugin. This plugin will give you the option to customize the title, description, upload the correct image size.
Why Use A Featured Image?The featured image of your content is important because it will be what represents your content. This image will also appear in places like archives and post lists. In many cases, it will be the first thing a person will see. Will it draw their eye and get them to stay on the page? Or will they move on to something else? An attractive image can bring people to your page and drive traffic throughout the rest of your site with your additional links and featured images. How To Optimize A Featured Image When you install your featured image, there are a few things to consider. One of these is the size of the image. We know that when a page doesn’t load quickly, most people will not wait around for it and will move on to something else. One of the big problems with a slow loading page is usually image size. A good size for featured images is 1200 by 600 pixels, but you can also have one that is in the 900-1,000 pixels wide range. Your website should have settings that allow for different image types to be sized properly.
What Kinds Of Images Should Be Used?You are trying to build a relationship of trust with the user so be sure that the images you use are going to be something relatable — something they can connect with. There are times when a stock image is probably going to be all you can get for the image you want to show, but you’ll be much better off if you can use real images of real people that are your employees, customers, etc.
- Make sure the image is clear — that means good, high-quality images.
- Use images that match and enhance the topic of the content on that page. If it does not add some value to the page, don’t use it. Find something else that does.
- Use pictures of people. People like people right? Give the people what they want — other people.
- Other types of images that can be great to use in blog are infographics and screenshots.
- Don’t use an image without permission. This may seem obvious, but there are plenty of people that have run into legal trouble over this. The safest way to do this is by creating your own images. Otherwise, you may have to purchase images, or at the very least, give credit to where you got the image.